Clay Thorn Reached Goal to Run in XC State Championship

Clay

Clay Thorn beating the pack at the John Marshall Invitational at Grand Vue Park.

At cross country meets, athletes run a grueling 5K through rugged terrain, climbing steep hills, crossing streams, and trudging through mud, but Senior Clay Thorn enjoys every minute of it.  Some athletes think of running as a punishment, but not Thorn who runs seven days a week, sometimes up to 15 miles in one run.  This hard work and dedication earned him a spot in the West Virginia Cross    Country State  Championships where he placed an impressive 29th of 141 runners.  “It was a very competitive field.  I’m glad I got to represent JM at cross country championship.  Running in the state meet was an experience I will remember for the rest of my life,” said Thorn.

Besides earning a place in the state meet, Thorn’s other cross country achievements were winning this year’s Wheeling Park meet and earning All-OVAC honors the past two years. Thorn is undecided about whether he wants to pursue cross country in college, but if he does, he is leaning toward   attending Bethany College or Wheeling Jesuit University.