Practice is Pettit’s Key to Success

Kailey

Junior Kailey Pettit has learned that practice makes progress.  On the golf course, Pettit has been racking up the wins for the past four years. Her major  accomplishments include winning the Belmont Hills Junior tournament twice, and placing second in the Honeywell  Junior Tournament at the Moundsville Country Club the past two years. She placed second this season in two different Junior Callaway tournaments.

Pettit has been golfing for as long as she can remember but didn’t play competitively until she became a freshman.    Pettit said her parents, who introduced her to the game, are a source of support, along with her golf  instructor. “My inspirations are my parents who encourage me and help me do my best and my golf teacher Roy Shreves; he’s practically taught me everything I know, so I can be better.” Sue Vail, Wheeling Jesuit University’s golf coach is also a mentor for Pettit:  “She is always encouraging and helpful.”

Pettit credits her success to practicing four to seven days a week at the Moundsville Country Club. “My advice to new golfers is to keep practicing. It’s a stressful mental game, but have fun when you play. Some people get frustrated easily; don’t let that go to your head. Smile and laugh when you play. It will be more enjoyable,” Pettit said.