The Best Big Brother

By: Hannah Hill

Those who have grown up with a brother or sister know about all the fights and the hatred siblings have toward one another. They also know, siblings have those sneaky, little schemes they plan together without Mom or Dad knowing. We were partners-in-crime when we got in trouble running from Grandma and locking ourselves in our rooms, so she would not catch us. There are the pros and cons of growing up with a sibling; but as I grew up, I realized I had the coolest brother.

My big brother, Eric, and I are four years apart. I was the bratty, little sister who fought and screamed while Eric was the big, bossy brother who was meaner than a snake. I always got the “You were adopted” joke being the youngest. When we were younger, we would torture each other to bits. I would scream at him when he would mess with me and not leave me alone, and I would annoy him to death when he wanted to hang out with his friends. Who wants a little sister tagging along?

There were some good times as well as bad. Eric stood up to the girls across the road when they teased me (Needless to say, they did not say another word to me). Eventually, we grew to appreciate one another. As we grew up, we slowly stopped all the bickering. We finally grew to be friends.

When I was in the eighth grade, I started spending more time with Eric. He took me almost everywhere he went, jamming out and singing along the way. Every once in a while, I would hang out with Eric and his friends. He eventually graduated high school, his dream college waiting for him in the fall. I still remember the day Eric left because he actually gave me a hug before going four hours away to pursue his dream in motorsports at the University of Northwestern Ohio. It was not too long after when the emptiness lingering through my house had set in. Dad was at work, and I was home almost everyday by myself. It had always been just Eric and me. Eric leaving was more sad than I thought it would be. I was used to spending so much time with him, and I knew I would miss him. Eric is and will always be my best friend.

Now that I'm in high school, I realize I should have cherished the little things we did as kids. I learned so much from my older brother. He taught me to follow my dreams, and that eventually I can do anything I want in the world. I remember Eric telling me one day that if a racecar’s engine blew up in his face, he wanted me to know that he loved me, and I was the best sister in the world.

I do miss the occasional fights as well as Eric bringing home four boxes of pizza from work. I also miss the trips to eat at 4 a.m. From climbing on the roof and taking the ladder down leaving me stranded to the slip n’ slides we made in the hallway, I can definitely say I miss every moment of it. In the end, I am glad Eric found something he loves doing even though he is states away living out his dream working for NASCAR. I am a proud, little sister.