JM English Teacher Wins Two National Awards

John Marshall High School English teacher Jonna Kuskey has earned two national awards.

The first honor is a literacy award through nomination. With “The Penguin Award” nomination comes a grant of $2,500. Kuskey’s grant idea is influencing students to read more non-fiction texts. Students, teachers and parents can enjoy a free book and meet three times during a homeroom period to discuss the book.  Kuskey placed 3rd in the nation for the “The Penguin Award.”

The second distinction, “The CEE James Moffett Award,” is a research award. Kuskey will be partnering with West Liberty University Professor Dr. Stephen Criniti. He will be helping both the students and Kuskey enhance their compositions.  Kuskey received $1,000 to put toward the implementation of the proposed project.

Kuskey was really surprised to have earned these national awards. “I really never thought I would win, but it just goes to show you,” Kuskey explained. “I tell students all the time with scholarships. Apply. You never know if you’re going to get something, and you definitely know you’re not going to get it if you don’t try. So I kind of took my own advice and was pleasantly surprised.”

Story and picture by: Beth Allen, JM Senior Broadcasting Student